The University of Winchester offers an exciting BA (Hons) Dance Degree course, promising to kick-start your career in the dance industry. With six fully-equipped studios and a faculty of accomplished lecturers, it is little wonder that 90% of third year students agree that they are fully satisfied by the course. To find out more about the course, please click here
Via social media, I had the opportunity to interview Ella, a current dance student at Winchester University. Currently involved in a variety of rehearsal projects, Ella seemed utterly pleased with the course and appears to be enjoying it highly.
Winchester University seems to be an extremely welcoming and friendly place. Upon arrival for her audition, Ella was given a name badge and introduced to current Winchester University students. This enabled auditionees to not only socialise and relax, but also gauge an understanding of what to expect during the audition process (from the students themselves).
The audition itself is relatively long in length. Roughly running from 10am-3pm, the audition is intense, yet thoroughly enjoyable. Ella partook in a contemporary technique class, followed by a creative task. The task involved working in partners to create a choreographic sequence that utilised gestures and emphasised creativity. This also allowed the panel to asses how well auditionees work and communicate with others.
Auditionees are also asked to perform a pre-prepared solo, ranging from 1-2 minutes in length. The panel are interested in whom inspired you to create the solo, so ensure that you have a choreographer or dance company in mind.
Finally, Ella was invited to a group interview and a talk regarding the content and modules on the course. She found out the following day that she had successfully auditioned for the course.
- Winchester University is a fantastic place to study if you have an interest in the more academic side of dance. If you have ambitions to become involved in dance organisation or management, Winchester is the perfect place to study
- The campus is relatively small and friendly– not daunting like a lot of universities are!
- The course has lots of connections with existing dance companies, allowing students to collaborate with professionals within the industry
- As a Chichester College Level 3 BTEC graduate, Ella said that her studies at college really helped prepare her for Winchester Uni’s auditions. As she had been accustomed to creating and choreographing dance material, she was able to do this quickly and successful in the audition
- The panel aren’t looking for a particular ‘look’. They are interested in passion and how you express yourself in a unique manner. As long as you can show your personality and commitment through dance, you have more chance of being successful
Ella has been a wonderful contributor to this blog and we would like to thank her for taking the time to talk about her audition experience. Audition Quest would like to wish her the best of luck with her studies and future working within the industry.